So Near But Yet So Far

22 Jul 2017

Senior Championship – Round 3 St. Josephs 0-9, Sean O’Mahonys 1-7.


Following the trilogy of matches in 2014 in the Intermediate semi-final we again faced the O’Mahonys but this time they were County Senior Champions and the Joes were Intermediate champions. The Group had proven very tight with the Joes & Marys drawing their opening match and the O’Mahonys prevailing against the Marys on a scoreline of 1-7 to 0-9.


It was all to play for and the sides created very few open scoring chances with the sides trading points from frees for the first 15mins. Conor Finnegan and Alan Quigley both were unerring registering 3 points each for their teams in that period. The first point from play came on 16mins from Alan Quigley to edge the Joes in front. Sean O’Mahonys lost Liam Dullaghan to a back card on 17mins but it was it was the O’Mahonys through that man Finnegan, who hit the target from two 30m frees to put the O’Mahonys ahead 0-5 to 0-4 on 21mins. The final 10 mins of the half was more open and an excellent pass from Peter Brennan found Conal O’Hanlon who sent the ball between the posts and the sides were level. Minutes later Killian Staunton’s cross field ball was superbly collected and finished by Alan McKenna. The Joes goal led a charmed life when the O’Mahonys hit the right upright and the every dangerous Conor Crawley connected with a high ball, only to be denied by the cross bar. The Joes had the final chance of the half when a 40m free drifted wide to leave the half time score St. Josephs 0-6, Sean O’Mahonys 0-5.


The Joes had the better of the scoring in the early stages of the second half with Alan Quigley converting a 25m free following good work by Derek Mulligan and Alan McKenna. A Conal O’Hanlon point on 40mins had the Joes ahead by three. The sides kept it tight at the back with few scoring opportunities, however the outcome of the match was decided in a three minute spell mid-way through the half. The Joes had coped well with the high ball into the goalmouth, however Conor Crawley was not to be denied and he fisted the high ball to the Joes net on 46mins to level the scoreline at 1-5 to 0-8. Points from play from Conor Finnegan and David Dowling had the O’Mahonys ahead by two on 48mins. When the hard working Derek Mulligan was fouled, Conal O’Hanlon converted the free to leave one point between the sides on 50mins. This was to be the final score of the game but not to be the last of the drama with the O’Mahonys losing Conor Crawley to a second yellow. Despite the disadvantage of numbers the O’Mahonys controlled possession and the Joes could not get that elusive equaliser. The final action of the match was a full length fingertip save from Robert Sansom in the Joes goal to deny the O’Mahonys a second goal and keep the Joes Championship hopes alive.


Next up is a top of the table League clash away to our near neighbours Naomh Fionnbarra on Weds. 26th. July, then the holiday week and onto the play-off match versus the Marys, week ending 13th. Aug.


St Josephs: Robert Sansom, Daire Smyth, Shane McQuillan, Stefan Pots, Cian McGuinness, Killian Staunton, David Kieran, Peter Brennan, Tomas Smyth, Craig Doherty, Alan McKenna (0-1) Conal O’Hanlon (0-3,2f), Alan Quigley (0-5, 4f), Derek Mulligan, Conall Smyth. Jack Mulligan for Killian Staunton, Bernard Mulligan for Peter Brennan.


Sean O’Mahonys: Seamus Quigley, Christopher O’Neill, Ronan Byrne, Michael Clarke, Pat O’Brien, John O’Brien, Liam Dullaghan, Conor Martin, Shane Brennan, Conor Finnegan, Ben McLaughlin, Keith McLaughlin, Stephen Kilcoyne, Conor Crawley, Vincent Smyth. David Dowling for Liam Dullaghan (Black card).


(Report: Pat Coyne)

Country Fresh