Geraldines come out on top in battle of the Neighbours

07 May 2017

On a bright Summers Sunday morning in Haggardstown it was certainly a game of two halves in this Paddy Sheelan Shield quarter final clash between neighbours Geraldines and St. Josephs. Played in ideal conditions for football it was the Joes who dominated the first half leading by 1-7 to 0-5 at the half time break. Joes had the first score when a Craig Doherty shot was parried by Darrin Kennedy in the Gers goal and Robbie Neary was on hand to finish to the net after just two minutes. Points from a 20m free from Conal O Hanlon and a superb Thomas Smyth effort had the Joes ahead by five on 8mins. The Geraldines attacks proved threatening and it was their talisman Shane O Hanlon who got them off the mark with an excellent point on 9mins. Conal O Hanlon pointed for the Joes on 11mins and his namesake Shane responded for the Geraldines to leave the score at Joes 1-3, Geraldines 0-3 on 19mins. A minute later, after good work by Thomas Smyth, it was Danny O Brien who added a Joes point. In the final 10mins of the half it was Darrin Kennedy who starred in the Geraldines goal, firstly with a fine save from Killian Staunton and later two point blank saves from Conal O Hanlon. The Geraldines added to their tally with a fisted effort from Dara Hamill and an excellent strike from wide on the right by Shane O Hanlon. The Joes kept their lead with points from Danny O Brien, Alan McKenna and the third following a pin point pass from Danny O Brien that was pointed by Killian Staunton leaving the half time score at St. Josephs 1-7, Geraldines 0-5.


The second half was dominated by the Geraldines and the Joes lead was cut to a single point after just 7 minutes of action with points from Dara Hamill, Shane O Hanlon, Josh Arrowsmith & Shane Rogers. In a five minute spell it was the Joes keeper Mark Neary who was centre of the action, firstly denying Shane O Hanlon a certain goal and pulling off another point blank save minutes later. However the Geraldines found the net when the dropping ball escaped the attention of Mark Neary in the Joes goal and Shane Rogers responded quickest to the loose ball and the Geraldines were in front for the first time on 45mins. With the Geraldines dominating possession, the Joes finally lifted the siege in the last ten minutes. A well worked move between Jack McNamee and Alan McKenna was finished by Danny O Brien for the Joes first score of the half on 55mins.  The sides traded wides before Dara Hamill put the Geraldines ahead by two on 58mins. The Joes finished strongly with Killian Staunton cutting the margin to a single point on 62mins. There was confusion when the final whistle blew as to the final score but it was the Geraldines who were through to the semi-final on a scoreline of Geraldines 1-10, St. Josephs 1-9


St. Josephs: Mark Neary, Philip Brennan, Shane McQuillan, Stefan Potts, David Kieran, Gerard Hoey, Alan Lynch,  Thomas Smyth (0-1), Killian Staunton (0-2), Danny O Brien (0-3), Craig Doherty, Jack Mulligan,  Alan McKenna (0-1), Conal O Hanlon (0-2), Robbie Neary (1-0). Subs: Jack McNamee for Robbie Neary.


Geraldines: Darrin Kennedy, Andy Lynch, Nicky Mackin, John Pepper, Paddy Hoey, Jack Traynor, Paul Clarke, Matthew Corcoran, Nat Cooney, Sean Thornton, Josh Arrowsmith, Shane Rogers, Dara Hamill, Shane O Hanlon, Kevin Pepper.


(Report: Pat Coyne)

Country Fresh