First Half Flurry against Fechins Does the Damage

23 Aug 2013

The ninth round of the division two league saw the Joes intermediate team travel to Beaulieu to take on the Fechins. With both sides at opposite ends of the table the away side would have been favoured to win this match and as it turned out, it was really over as a contest by half time.


It only took the Fechins a minute of play to register their first score, with a Ronan Holcroft free. However, this would be as good as it would get for the home side in the half, as they remained scoreless for the next 29 minutes, as the Joes rattled off 1-10 without reply! Two fine Derek Mulligan points got the Joes off the mark, with Alan Mc Kenna winning the resultant kickout from the second one to fed Daire Smyth for the teams third. Great work from Conal O Hanlon set up Peter Mulligan for the next, while a lovely ball in from Daire Smyth to Derek Mulligan set up the fifth Joes point. Peter Mulligan drove through and pointed direct from the kickout of this score. The next point was a great move the whole way from the full back line to the full forward line and was again finished by Derek Mulligan to give him his fourth point from play within the opening twenty minutes. A rampant Joes side were piling on the pressure at this stage and the next point was a 14 yard Conal O Hanlon free, after good refereeing and consultation with his own umpire determined that Robert Sansom had been fouled just outside the penalty area. But it would not be long before Sansom did get a major. Patient play was rewarded when Derek Mulligan passed across to Sansom, who palmed the ball to the net.


Straight from this kickout the Fechins worked the ball downfield to Niall Devlin, but nothing was going right for his side and his goal effort was shot wide. The Joes responded with another very well worked move out of a tight spot in the full back line and the move was finished off with a foul 14 yards out, that Alan Mc Kenna converted. The Fechins had a chance to finish the half the way that they started it, with a Holcroft free. But their luck was well and truly out and when his shot came off the inside of the post and back into play the Joes were able to gain possession and work it downfield for Mc Kenna to round off the scoring with a point from distance.
Half Time Score: St Josephs 1-10, St Fechins 0-1


The third quarter of the match brought a fight back from the Fechins as they outscored the Joes by 1-5 to 0-2 in the period and reduced the deficit to six points. It was main man Ronan Holcroft who lead the charge with a point within seconds of the throw in and followed it up with another from a free. The Joes took control of the game again for the next five minutes, but the flawless performance of the first half was not reproduced as the only reward that they got for their efforts was a fine point for Conall Smyth off his left foot. The teams traded scores, with the first being another Holcroft free. A well worked Joes move produced a goal chance for Conall Smyth, but his shot was well saved, with Derek Mulligan picking up the pieces and hitting his fifth point. Substitute Niall Carolan became only the second Fechins man to get on the scoreboard with a point in the eleventh minute.


It was at stage that two great moves with Brian Devlin at the centre of both gave the home side a flicker of a chance of getting something out of the game. The first move saw Devlin work a goal chance, but his shot was well saved by Robbie Arthur at the expense of a point. There was no stopping him the second time though, as he drove through the middle and put his next goal bound shot to the bottom corner of the net.


The Joes had been ragged in the second half up until this stage, but when a long range effort from Peter Mulligan was punched over the bar by Sansom and the team started to be freshened up with a few introductions they regained their composure and control on the game. This and the small matter of a further two goals within the space of a minute! The first one was started with a good ball in from Shane Mc Quillan to Mc Kenna, who played an interchange with Sansom before netting. Sansom was on hand a minute later to palm the third and final goal to the net and kill off any chances the Fechins had, as this left the Joes leading by 14 points with 10 minutes to go. The Joes scoring was rounded off by a very fine inidividual point from Jack Mulligan. With points from Niall Devlin and Brian Devlin coming either side of another Holcroft brace being scant consolation for the Termonfeckin men.
Full Time Score: St Josephs 3-14, St Fechins 1-10


St Josephs: Robbie Arthur, Philip Kinahan, Ben Mulligan, Chris Brennan, Conal O Hanlon 0-1, Sean Mc Quillan, David Mernagh, Tomas Smyth, Peter Mulligan 0-2, Alan Mc Kenna 1-2, Conall Smyth 0-2, John Mc Guinness, Daire Smyth, Robert Sansom 2-1, Derek Mulligan 0-5.
Substitutions: Shane Mc Quillan for Chris Brennan, Alan Quigley for Derek Mulligan, Jack Mulligan 0-1 for Peter Mulligan, Aaron Smyth for John Mc Guinness, Darragh Smith for Philip Kinahan.


St Fechins: Mark Savage, Conor Phillips, Brendan Fanning, Fergal Mc Nally, Derek Younger, David Collier, Harry Mc Ardle, Brian Devlin 1-2, Sean Mc Connell, Mark Hynes, Ronan Holcroft (0-6, 4frs), Jamie King, Niall Devlin 0-1, James Devereaux, Vincent Corrigan.
Substitutions: Niall Carolan 0-1 for Conor Phillips, John Mc Glew for Mark Hynes, Paul King for Vincent Corrigan, Donal Ryan for John Mc Glew.


Referee: Kevin Carroll

Country Fresh