Intermediate Side Soundly Beaten in League

26 Apr 2013

The third round of the division two league saw the Joes host the Dundalk Young Irelanders on Friday evening in Dromiskin. On a dark evening the visitors played with the aid of the wind, that was blowing into the road end in the first half.


It was the Joes who settled first and dominated the first quarter. Two Alan Mc Kenna frees were followed by one from play for the Joes man. The home side went four up after patient build up finished up with a John Mc Guinness point. This was as good as it got for them though! With their first meaningful attack of the game, Dermot Mone sneaked in at the back of the Joes cover and a long ball over the top meant that Robbie Arthur was called to make a solid save right on the 15 minute mark. Mone made no mistake with his next chance, as he scored a good point from out on the left wing. This would be the first of eight unanswered scores for the town team! Mone then got his second score from a 14 yard free and added a third from the kickout. Simon Flynn struck over a fifty and a Derek Maguire free put the Irelanders into the lead for the first time with three minutes remaining in the half, a lead that they would not relinquish. Flynn and Maguire stretched their lead out to three before the break another point each for them from play.
Half Time Score: St Josephs 0-4, Dundalk Young Irelands 0-7


Johnny Lynch made it double scores within a minute of the restart, before a brief Joes revival was lead by Alan Mc Kenna. He first struck a fifty, before feeding the ball to John Mc Guinness for another point from the resulting kick out. A point from distance for Simon Flynn left three between the sides with six minutes gone in the second half. After this the game became very broken up and neither side managed to register a score for the next 13 minutes of play. When the next score did come it was a Derek Maguire free, but with four between the sides there was still hope for the Joes. However, Maguire was involved on several occasions in the set up the next score, as wing back Cian O Nearaigh raided forward and got on the end of the move and goaled. With twenty minutes played in the half this effectively sealed the win for the Irelanders. There was a good response from Jack Mulligan, but the Irelanders moved the ball straight down field for Johnny Lynch to cancel it out. The teams traded scores in the final minutes, but the Joes never looked likely of getting anything out of the game at this stage and the town side ran out as convincing and deserving winners.
Full Time Score: St Josephs 0-10, Dundalk Young Irelands 1-13


St Josephs: Robbie Arthur, Philip Kinahan, Ben Mulligan, David Kierans, Mark Neary, Alan Lynch, David Mernagh, Peter Mulligan 0-1, Peter Brennan, Jack Mulligan 0-1, Conall Smyth, Aaron Smyth, Alan Quigley, John Mc Guinness 0-2, Alan Mc Kenna 0-5
Substitutions: Conal O Hanlon 0-1 for Alan Quigley, Conor Murtagh for Peter Brennan, Lorcan Doyle for Aaron Smyth


Dundalk Young Irelands: Kevin Keelan, Shane O Connell, Kieran Murray, Alan Hynes, Robbie Farrell, Aaron Rogers, Cian O Nearaigh 1-0, Barry Piper, Joseph Flynn, Simon Flynn 0-3, Derek Maguire 0-4, Ryan White, Dermot Mone 0-3, Mark Savage, Johnny Lynch 0-2.


Referee: Paul Burke

Country Fresh