Two from Two for Intermediate Team in League

21 Apr 2013

The Joes intermediate side travelled out to the rock road on Sunday afternoon for the second round of the division two league. They faced into the sun and swirling breeze in the first half that were both into the clubhouse corner.


Straight from the throw in Robbie Arthur in the Joes goals was called into action, when a dipping shot from Sean Mc Auley dropped in just under the bar. He cleared his lines well, but had no chance a couple of minutes later. A poor ball out of the Joes defence found David Boyle, who was clinical in his finish to the Joes net. The Joes first attack came in the seventh minute and resulted in John Mc Guinness being fouled and Conal O Hanlon converting the free. O Hanlon nearly had a major minutes later when he came on an overlap and put his goal shot just wide. Boyle restored the home sides three point advantage, before O Hanlon made no mistake when put through on goal in a very similar situation to the previous one by Alan Mc Kenna. On this occassion he struck his shot to the top corner of the net to level the game. Na Piarsaigh tallysman Boyle was again on target with an immediate response in the way of a fisted point. This was cancelled out by another fisted point, this one coming from Alan Quigley. This was the first of five points that Joes scored in the final ten minutes of the half to ascert their dominance on the game, the only response from the town side coming from a free. Alan Mc Kenna struck three of these scores from dead balls, a fifty yard free and two forty yard frees. The only point from play coming from a good shot from Mark Neary, also from more than forty yards out.

Half Time Score: St Josepsh 1-6, Na Piarsaigh 1-3


It was Neary and Mc Kenna that were involved in the opening score of the second half, as Neary was dragged down after a strong run and Mc Kenna converted the close in free. A Conor Murtagh point in the twelfth minute stretched the Joes lead out to five points and they looked to have a strong grip on the game. However, a combination of their poor play and more excellent scores from David Boyle saw Na Piarsaigh drag themselves back into the game, leaving it as a one point game with only two minutes of normal time remaining. The first of Boyles three points in this period was a booming shot from the right wing, followed by a dead ball and finally one off his weaker left foot. The Joes eventually got back on the scoreboard, thanks to an Alan Mc Kenna point from play. But Na Piarsaigh did have one last chance to snatch the points with only seconds left in normal time. A shot from Cormac Malone dropped on the edge of the square. Boyle rose highes to get his fist to it, but on this occassion there was no score at the end, as the ball was hit back across the face of the Joes goal. A point from Peter Mulligan in the 32nd minute eventually eased the nerves of the Joes supporters and game finished up shortly afterwards.

Full Time Score: St Josephs 1-10, Na Piarsaigh 1-7


St Josephs: Robbie Arthur, Philip Kinahan, Ben Mulligan, David Kierans, Sean Mc Quillan, Alan Lynch, David Mernagh, Peter Mulligan 0-1, Conor Murtagh 0-1, Mark Neary 0-1, Conall Smyth, Conal O Hanlon 1-1, Alan Mc Kenna 0-5, John Mc Guinness, Alan Quigley 0-1.

Substitutions: Peter Brennan for Sean Mc Quillan, Jack Mulligan for Alan Quigley


Na Piarsaigh: Paul O Hare, Conal Shields, Chris Cotter, Stephen Mc Guinness, Joe Woods, Ronan Mc Cartney, Darren Mc Geeney, Gary O Hare, Eamonn Mc Auley, Mark Larkin 0-1, Gavin Mc Gee, Sean Mc Auley, David Berry, David Boyle 1-5, Niall Franklin.

Substitutions: Michael Woods for David Berry, Cormac Malone for Niall Franklin


Referee: James Carroll

Country Fresh