Second Half Comeback not enough for U21s

09 Nov 2012

The Joes were involved in the big tie of the first round of the U21 competition, when they were drawn to play away to the Geraldines on Friday evening. The pushed back throw in time of 8pm was further delayed when the Geraldines had some unusual problems with their floodlights! The game did eventually get underway in calm, dry and very cold conditions.


The Joes started brightly and owned the first five minutes of the game, but despite this, the only return for their efforts was a Lorcan Doyle free. Conversely, in their first attack, the Geraldines earned a 13 yard free, which Shane O Hanlon duly despatched. The two most crucial scores of the game would follow next, both goals and both for the Gers. The first came from a nothing ball towards the Joes goals, from which the Gers won a penalty. Despite the best efforts of the debutant goalkeeper Ciaran O Hare, he could not keep out O Hanlons strongly struck penalty to the corner. The next goal would come from the boot of Gers Talisman Barry Hamilton, after a long run! A Joes outfit who was missing a few key players was not helped when they lost Chris Brennan to injury during this move. An Alan Quigley free got the Joes back on the board, but it was immediately cancelled out the far end by Paul Molloy, before a further two O Hanlon frees came either side of a Hamilton point from play to leave the home side in a nine point lead after 20 minutes. When David Mernagh was fouled for the Joes it gave Mark Neary the chance to pull one back for the Joes, but this would be the last point in the half, as the home side added further points from Aaron Murray and a Hamilton brace to extend their lead at the break.
Half Time Score: St Josephs 0-3, Geraldines 2-8


The Joes did rally strongly at the start of the second half and hit five points without reply to bring them within two scores of the Gers. They signalled their intent within the opening minute of the half when Stephen Callan was alert to play a quick free to Robert Sansom, his effort was cleared off the line, but at the expense of a fifty, which was well struck by Alan Lynch. This was followed by a Sansom point and two from Alan Quigley and a further point from Jack Mulligan. Points from Hamilton and Kevin Pepper further reasserted the home sides lead, but the Joes did not give up. With 23 minutes played Robert Sansom was fouled on the edge of the penalty area, giving Lorcan Doyle the chance to peg one bag from a simple free. Minutes later a strong call for a Joes penalty was not given and shortly after this a near 30 man scrum kicked off! This was all dispersed without any cards, but when Tiernan Hand made a clear strike on Alan Quigley after this, the game saw its first red card. Time ran out for the Joes insurrection and man of the match Hamilton added one more at the death of the game with Joe Brolly style celebrations to round of the scoring.
Full Time Score: St Josephs 0-9, Geraldines 2-11


St Josephs: Ciaran O Hare, Chris Brennan, David Kierans, Kieran Langan, David Mernagh, Alan Lynch (0-1), Darragh Smith, Mark Neary (0-1), Robert Sansom (0-1), Jack Mac Namee, Conall Smyth, Shane Mc Quillan, Alan Quigley (0-3), Jack Mulligan (0-1), Lorcan Doyle (0-2).
Substitutions: Stephen Callan for Chris Brennan, Robbie Neary for Stephen Callan.


Geraldines Scorers: Barry Hamilton (1-5), Shane O Hanlon (1-3, all frs), Aaron Murray, Paul Molloy & Kevin Pepper (0-1 each)

Country Fresh