Great Second Half Drama in Sheelan Shield

28 Jun 2011

The Joes travelled out to the Clans on Tuesday evening to play in the spin off competition of the subsidiary league! (In other words, a glorified friendly). The Joes fielded a junior team, (with the exception of one very experienced member of the top 12) while the Clans also played a largely junior side they were bolstered by a number of county players, past and present.


The first half was completely dominated by the Clans, with them going into an 8-0 lead! Drew Duffy lead the attack from the unfamiliar position of the left wing, with three fine points from play. He was ably assisted by full forward JJ Quigley with two points from play. The Joes only started to get going in the closing minutes of the half. Tommy Yore had a shot at goal saved, before Gary Kinahan finally put the visitors on the scoreboard, with a point from play, a minute from the break.
Half Time Score: St Josephs 0-1, Clan na Gael 0-8


Eamonn Neary kept a Cathal O Hanlon shot out of the net in the opening minute of the second half. But it was the Joes who finally got into the game in the opening ten minutes of the half, scoring an unanswered 1-3 in this period to bring the match back to a one point game. Gary Kinahan was again to the fore in the attack, with a further two points from play, with Brendan O Donoghue being involved in the set up of both scores. Alan Quigley was on hand to get the Joes fourth point of the match, before O Donoghue again set up the next score, this time it was Tommy Yore who was on the end of the attack, as he buried his shot to the roof of the Clans net. The next five minutes of the match were frantic with the Joes spurning a chance to level the game, before Mark Dromgoole was called on to make a goal line clearance at the other end. This was quickly followed by another Joes goal chance which was unfortunately off target. It was the old head of Cathal O Hanlon who finally got the scoreboard ticking over again with a point from play at the three quarter mark to push the Clans lead back out to two points.


Drew Duffy scored a good point from distance for the Clans next, before Gary Kinahan replied with another for the Joes after an excellent tackle from him won back the possession for the Joes initially. But the next score would push the Clans back out to a five point lead, when midfielder Ray Mc Cabe was on the end of a move to get the Clans first goal of the match, (the move started with a disputed sideline ball!) However, this was cancelled out within two minutes, as Brendan O Donoghue rose highest to field a high ball, with the ball dropping to the ground in front of him, he calmly rounded the keeper soccer style to finish to the empty net. Dromiskin man Daryl O Hanlon would extend the Clans lead back out to three with a rare point from play, to leave three between the sides with five minutes to play. It was a quick fire 1-1 from David Reilly that would put the Joes into the lead for the first time with only three minutes of normal time remaining. However Mark Dromgoole put it all on the line again a minute later to keep out another goal effort from the Clans. When Reilly set up substitute Aidan Shaw for a seventh Joes point on the stroke of full time it looked like it might be the insurance socre. However, the Clans worked the ball straight downfield from the kick out and Drew Duffy finished the move to the Joes net to give them the narrowest of leads at the end of a highly entertaining second half.
Full Time Score: St Josephs 3-7, Clan na Gael 2-11


Joes Team: Eamonn Neary, Mark Dromgoole, Malcolm Carolan, Conor Lynch, David Mernagh, David Reilly(1-1), Liam Mernagh, Bernard Mulligan, Niall Henry, Conall Smyth, Brendan O Donoghue (1-0), Tommy Yore (1-0), Gary Kinahan (0-4), Alan Quigley (0-1), Lorcan Doyle.
Substutions: Jonny Mc Gailey for Conall Smyth, Stephen Murphy for Lorcan Doyle, Philip Brennan for David Mernagh, Cian Mc Guinness for Liam Mernagh, Aidan Shaw (0-1) for Tommy Yore.


Clan na Gael Team: Gavin Neary; Derek English, Paul Crewe, Keith Cunningham; Paul Gore, Mark McCann, Leo Martin; Brendan Begley 0-1, Ray McCabe 1-0; Drew Duffy 1-4, Cathal O Hanlon 0-1, Stephen Fitzpatrick; Paul Martin, JJ Quigley 0-2, Mark McGeown 0-2. Subs: Daryl O Hanlon 0-1 for P Gore, Christian Maguire for D English, Gary Hoey for K Cunningham, Mark Newell for C O Hanlon, Conall Cooney for B Begley.


Referee: Stephen Johnston

Country Fresh