U21 Competition Resumes with Resounding Win

14 Nov 2010

After a seven month break, the U21 competition resumed at a dark Cluskey Park this afternoon.


The home side, that contained six of this years minor championship winning team, got off to a flying start. After winning the throw in, they played the ball forward patiently before Alan Quigley goaled. This was followed up by two Conall Smyth points, both of which were set up by John Mc Guinness. The provider would then turn scorer when he scrambled home a goal after good work from Smyth and Lynch to win the ball back. An eight point head start with only five minutes played gave Roche a fair moutain to climb early on!


But Roche did claw their way back into the game over the next thirteen minutes as they hit three points without reply. But it was soon back to business as usual as Alan Mc Kenna worked the ball forward and linked up with Lorcan Doyle who netted his first score of the day. This was soon followed up by another  Alan Quigley goal before the aforementioned Doyle went on a scoring spree, getting five of the Joes six points before the break, the odd one out coming from the boot of Alan Lynch.

Half Time Score: St Josephs 4-8, Roche Emmets 0-3


Roche opened up scoring in the second half with two points within a minute. But another fine point from Alan Quigley got the Joes moving again. Midfielder Rober Sansom was next to bag a major, with Roche cancelling this out with three points from play before a Peter Brennan point. The last two Roche points were punctuated by Lorcan Doyles second goal of the game. Conal O Hanlon added on two points at the end, which were seperated by a fine Jack Mulligan goal.

Full Time Score: St Josephs 7-12, Roche Emmets 0-10 


Team: Aidan Shaw, Conor Mc Geough, Bernard Mulligan, Liam Mernagh, Andrew Cluskey, Daire Mc Kiernan, Mark Neary, Peter Brennan (0-1), Robert Sansom (1-0), Alan Quigley (2-1), Alan Lynch (0-1), Conall Smyth (0-2), Alan Mc Kenna, John Mc Guinness (1-0), Lorcan Doyle (2-5).

Substitutions: Jack Mulligan (1-0) for Alan Mc Kenna (HT), Cian Mc Guinness for Andrew Cluskey (HT), Jack Mc Namee for Alan Quigley, Conal O Hanlon (0-2) for Alan Lynch.

Referee: Patsy Connolly

Country Fresh