Double Scores Victory for Juniors in Ardee

18 May 2010

The Juniors put up the best performance of any Joes team so far this year, when they travelled to play the Marys on Tuesday night in the league. The win was by a double scores margin and gives them back to back wins in eight days.


In a tight first half there was never more than 2 points between the sides at any stage, with the scores being level on five occasions. The Marys only lead once during the half when a free in the 15th minute put them 4-3 up. However, this lead only lasted about a minute, as a great individual point from Alan Quigley levelled the scores again.


The opening score came on two minutes, when John Murtagh put through Cian Smyth, who was fouled and scored the resultant free himself. Murtagh was involved again a minute later, when he pointed himself. The third Joes score came when a Ben Mulligan shot came back off the crossbar, the Joes retained possession and the ageless Stephen Melia pointed. The Marys then scored three unanswered points to leave the score at 4-3. An Alan Quigley point and Cian Smyth free put the Joes back in front, before a Marys point from play was followed by a fine point from Peter Mulligan. The next score was an excellent move, Stephen Mc Cormack, taking the ball from deep in defence, before finding Stephen Quigley, who in turn found son Alan, who got his second point of the game. The Marys pulled two points back before the break, the second one having to be palmed over the bar from a goal bound shot, by Eamonn Neary.
Half Time Score: St Josephs 0-7, St Marys 0-7


The decisive period in the game came in the first ten minutes of the second half, when the Joes notched up 1-4 without reply to give them a commanding seven point lead. The first of these scores came straight from Ben Mulligan winning the throw in, Mark Gorham and Cian Smyth were involved in the forward move, before Mulligan finished it off himself with a point. This was followed by a Cian Smyth free and another good point from Peter Mulligan and when Alan Quigley dropped a shot into the square, Paul Dromgoole was there to punch home to the net. Conor Lynch won the resultant kick out and within the space of a minute Drummer had added a point to his goal. The Marys did try and fight back, but a point blank save from Eamonn Neary kept the gap at seven, before a Marys freekick brought it back to six at the three quarter stage.


It is fair to say there was a period of malaise, before Stephen Murphy was called upon to clear a goal mouth scramble. This was just one of many times that the new recruit was solid in the full back line through the game. The last Marys score of the game came from a free with 25 minutes played. The Joes werent finished yet though, Conor Lynch came forward to take a point, before Mark Gorham played a long ball directly in to John Murtagh, who calmly finished to the net.
Full Time Score: St Josephs 2-12, St Marys 0-9


Team: Eamonn Neary, Stephen Mc Cormack, Malcolm Carolan, Stephen Murphy, Mark Dromgoole, Stephen Melia (0-1), Conor Lynch (0-1), Bernard Mulligan (0-1), John Murtagh (1-1), Peter Mulligan (0-2), Mark Gorham, Stephen Quigley, Alan Quigley (0-2), Paul Dromgoole (1-1), Cian Smyth (0-3). Substitute: Aaron Smyth for Stephen Murphy (inj)


Referee: Malachy Craven

Country Fresh