Match Report - Senior League Game with Glyde

08 May 2010

The Joes faced neighbours Glyde Rangers this evening in a sun basked Cluskey Park, hoping to kick start their league campaign against a side who were alreday off the mark.  While no points were put on the league table by the Joes, there was a marked improvement on the previous two outings.


Glyde started with the benefit of the significant breeze, that was blowing from the road goal. But it was the Joes who struck first, having won the throw in, Cian Smyth got on the ball and played a neat 1-2 with Derek Mulligan before taking his score. This was more than cancelled out within a minute though! When the Joes gifted possession to the Glyde attack, what clearly appeared to be a foul on a Glyde forward outside the box, saw a penalty being awarded. Trevor O Brien stood up and struck the spot kick to the roof of the net. This was followed by two Glyde points from play, to leave them four points clear with only five minutes played. From the kickout of the second point, the Joes worked the ball the length of the field and were rewarded with a Derek Mulligan point. Glyde full forward Martin O Connor took the next two points of the game from play. The second one coming at the end of a full length of the pitch move, started by a Glyde kickout. The Joes scored their third point of the game following very patient build up play, that saw the ball played back out to Mark Gorham on right wing to finish off the move. Again, Glyde moved the ball straight down the field, where Trevor O Brien took a point from play, to leave five between the sides with a quarter of the game played.


The honours were shared in the second quarter of the match. Ollie Mc Donnell getting on the score sheet after some good team work. David Reilly drew a free minutes later that was finished by Peter Brennan, to leave just the penalty goal between the sides. Points from Gerarrrd Sheridan and a Trevor O Brien free restored the vistors five point advantage before the break.

Half Time Score: St Josephs 0-5, Glyde Rangers 1-7


The Joes started to show what they are capable of in the third quarter. They opened the scoring with an Ollie Mc Donnell free in the fifth minute. This was followed by a very fine point for Derek Mulligan from a tight angle. Gerry Sheridan put the first Glyde score of the half on the board. But from the resultant kickout out, Peter Brennan won the ball in the middle and Brendan O Donoghue linked with David Reilly who cancelled out the Glyde score. Glyde again pushed the lead out to four, before a Derek Mulligan free, again left the gap at three points. The Joes were going well at this stage and a Mc Donnell point from the left boot and from the left corner brought the deficit down to just two. However, the Joes just couldnt push on from there and it would prove to be their last score of the game. Glyde controlled the last ten minutes of the game and kicked three points from play before the end. Brendan O Donoghue did have a shot for goal in the last minute of normal time, but saw the shot come back off the crossbar and back into play.

Full Time Score: St Josephs 0-10, Glyde Rangers 1-12


Team: Eamonn Neary, Philip Kinahan, Kevin Woods, Declan O Sullivan, Cian Smyth (0-1), Conor Murtagh, Anthony Keenan, Peter Brennan (0-1), Bernard Mulligan, David Reilly (0-1), Ollie Mc Donnell (0-3), Peter Mulligan, Brendan O Donoghue, Mark Gorham (0-1), Derek Mulligan (0-3)

Subsitutions: Liam Mernagh for Declan O Sullivan (inj), John Murtagh for Mark Gorham.

Referee: Michael Boyle

Country Fresh