Match Report - Senior League Match with Mattock

29 Apr 2010

The senior champions hosted an injury ravaged and intermediate Joes side in the second round of the division one league in Collon. Unfortunately for the Joes there was no gold at the end of the rainbow that appeared during the second half sunlight! This was a game that followed a very similar script to the first round match against the Clans.


Having won the throw in, the Joes had the ball in the Mattock net within 30 seconds, however, John Murtagh was adjudged to have entered the square before the ball and the score was disallowed. Joes did open the scoring in the fifth minute when Mark Gorham put through David Reilly for a point. However, Mattock then did what they do best and scored an unanswered 2-6 over the next 15 minutes. Midfielder Niall Callan opening the scoring with a fine point from play and Niall Sharkey rounding off this spell of scoring with a goal. Sharkey accounted for 1-1 in this period, but so too did the ultra dangerous David Reid. The Joes pulled one back with a Peter Brennan point from play on 23, but Mattock just went straight down the field from the kickout and the aforementioned Reid pushed the margin back out to 11 points. Christy Grimes was a tad lucky to only see yellow for a high strike on David Reilly a minute later and from the resultant free, Liam Mernagh set up Mark Gorham for a point. Shane Grimes and Adrian Reid both pointed before the break to leave a big gap between the sides at the turnaround.
Half Time Score: St Josephs 0-3, Mattock Rangers 2-9


It was the Reid brothers show in the second half, as they each scored two points from play in the third quarter, the only reply from the Joes being a Derek Mulligan point. Christy Grimes rounded off the scoring in the quarter to leave 16 between the sides. The Joes did get a goal back from a Mark Gorham penalty, after Kevin Woods was adjudged to have been fouled when going for a high ball in. The next score of the game came courtesy of a David Reid kick from the sideline, followed by a Niall Sharkey point. With five minutes left and nothing to play for there was an unsavoury incident when an unidentified player kicked Peter Brennan in head while he lay on the ground. If intentional, it was an act that was in contrast to a game that played in a fair manor. Adrian Reid and Keith Brennan rounded off the scoring for Mattock and with the last kick of the game, corner back Philip Kinahan nearly got on the score sheet, but saw his shot come back off the inside of the post.
Full Time Score: St Josephs 1-4, Mattock Rangers 2-19


Team: Eamonn Neary, Philip Kinahan, Anthony Kennan, Conor Lynch, Cian Smyth, Ben Mulligan, David Reilly (0-1), Peter Brennan (0-1), Peter Mulligan, Daire Smyth, Mark Gorham (1-1), Liam Mernagh, Derek Mulligan (0-1), John Murtagh, Alan Mc Kenna.
Substitutes Used: Gary Kinahan for Alan Mc Kenna, Kevin Woods for John Murtagh, Mark Dromgoole for Cian Smyth, Aidan Shaw for Liam Mernagh, Stephen Murphy for Peter Brennan (inj).


Mattock Scorers: David Reid 1-7 (including 1 free & 1 sideline), Niall Sharkey 1-2, Adrian Reid 0-4, Shane Grimes & Christy Grimes 0-2 each, Niall Callan & Keith Brennan 0-1 each.


Referee: Joey Moynagh

Country Fresh