Match Report - U21 Match against O Connells/Stabannon Combination

20 Apr 2010

The opening round of this years U21 competition saw the Joes travel the short distance up the road to play an O Connells/Stabannon combination in the Grove.


The Joes got off to a good start, with a point from play for Conal O Hanlon after winning the throw in. A minute later Peter Brennan taped over a free to double the advantage. But the home side got off the mark in the eight minute, when they were awarded a penalty. Niall Conlon took the kick and his effort went over the bar. They soon followed this up with a point from play, before a lovely move started by Ben Mulligan in defence was finished off by Lorcan Doyle, to put the Joes back in front. But the combination side dominated the next 15 minutes, kicking four unanswered points, two of them from Conlon. When Alan Mc Kenna was fouled with 26 minutes played, the free gave Conal O Hanlon the chance to reduce the deficit to two points, with a free from the hands. A Robert Quigley free would again push the lead out to three, before the Joes pulled one back in the last move of the half. Alan Mc Kenna playing a sweet flick to Lorcan Doyle who took his second point of the game.
Half Time Score: O Connells/Stabannon 0-7, St Josephs 0-5


Just like in the first, the Joes got the opening point of the half within a minute. This time a long ball from Peter Brennan was broken down by Alan Mc Kenna and Jack Mulligan took the point. The scores were level a minute later with an O Hanlon free, before the home team took back the lead with a point from play. With nine minutes played it was the turn of the Conals, with O Hanlon stealing the ball back that started a move finished by Conal Smyth. And when O Hanlon scored another from play a minute later the Joes were back in front. However this lead was short lived, as another Robert Quigley point from play levelled up matters. In fact, although the game would be in the balance right until near the end, this was the last time that the Joes would lead.


Another two home team points from play pushed them into the lead coming up to the three quarter mark in the game. When Alan Mc Kenna was fouled in the 17th minute he took the resultant free himself and reduced the difference down to the minimum. Again the home team scored from play, before Alan Mc Kenna played a one/two with Peter Brennan from a sideline ball and kicked over again. The combination scored the next two points of the game, to give them a three point advantage with only five minutes of normal time left. When Chris Brennan saw the line for a second yellow card, the Joes had a job on their hands to rescue something from the game and get the goal they would have needed. Having said this another O Hanlon pointed free did leave only two in it with two minutes to play. But the combination side made no mistake and with two Conlon points in injury time put a bit of a gloss on the scoreline at the end.
Full Time Score: O Connells/Stabannon 0-16, St Josephs 0-12


Team: Aidan Shaw, Chris Brennan, Bernard Mulligan, Daragh Smith, Sean Mc Quillan, Conor Mc Geough, David Mernagh, Conal O Hanlon (0-5), Peter Brennan (0-1), Jack Mc Namee, Liam Mernagh, Conal Smyth (0-1), Jack Mulligan (0-1), Alan Mc Kenna (0-2), Lorcan Doyle (0-2).


Referee: Gerry Malone

Country Fresh